Thursday, 26 August 2010

23!!!!! Final thoughts

Phew! That was a bit of a marathon but I'm really glad I explored these tools.

There are some that I don't think are relevant to the small library where I work, and others that I didn't really like. I don't have time to trawl through the many blogs, opinions, of everyone else and don't expect anyone to pay interest to mine. I didn't like the YouTube videos or many of the comments on LibraryThing; and I'm not a persoanl fan of facebook although I am going to use this as a communication tool in the library.

On a more positive note, I thought Linkedin was very good and will be entering my details for my personal benefit; and I will also be adding delicious tags to the library website. Slideshare I thought was extremely useful and will be working on that next week to develop my presentation. I'm also looking at Flickr to develop some good posters for the library; (we've just had a photographer in to take images for the new library website).

I need to use Twitter more but I often get the whale image (try again later) when I try to log-in and this discourages use; I also think it could become too addictive, and there is so much I still need to do this summer! I think the use of new social media does depend to some extent on the environment you work in but I think no-one should ignore it and the potential benefits it can have, particularly when the promotion and networking of what we do has never been more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment